Monday, November 19, 2007

Something to ponder

Now, I've been knitting up a storm with the baby things for Miss Willy Nilly and DSIL asked DD had I always knitted. And she said yes but sometimes more than others. And then she asked me why did it seem that I'd been knitting more lately, besides the obvious baby frenzied knitting, and I've been thinking about that quite a bit. So, I've come to some conclusions, at least for me. First, there's just the two of us now, and we like to be home on the weeknights, so there's more time. Next, there's just the two of us now and we have more money. Third, the internet, whether it be blogs, the knitlist, ezines, or now Ravelry has given me much more access to a lot of knitting. And last, I think, is that there are more and more yarns, fibers, and patterns available. When I was pregnant with this DD, there was Grant's down the street and that's where I bought the pattern books and the acrylic yarn. If they didn't carry it, not only didn't I buy it but I didn't even know about it. I don't even remember a proper LYS anywhere or at least anywhere I went. So my question is, what makes everyone else knit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings and happy Thanksgiving. I clicked on the link to your blog from the Knitlist. Reading your posting that mentioned "Grants" made me think that you might be approx. my age :) I had been trying to recall where I bought my first ever ball of yarn...it was Grants...downtown New Britain, CT. An autumnal variegated ball for a garter stitch scarf per lessons in Brownie Troop at age 8. Just wanted to say thanks for jogging my memory and I definitely knit more now, largely due to the internet and availability of info, patterns, books and yarn.

Margie said...

What makes me knit? I'm fidgety! If I don't knit I drive everyone crazy tapping on the table. Besides, I like making things--any things. I can tat, but lace isn't nearly as useful as knitting (especially in winter LOL); I can do woodwork, but it's not terribly portable. Hence the knitting.