Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of the Nupps

I've heard stories about these nupps, I've read a lot about how to cheat, I've seen others use beads instead of nupps, but I was determined. I found out quickly that I cannot purl through the back loops of five stitches. So I came up with my own method. Although I may have read about it somewhere I have never seen it done. I use a very little crochet hook. It looks like this.










You have to slip the crochet hook through the stitches and pull the yarn back through and then get it on the right hand needle. I need about four hands to do this but it has been working. Not fast, but working. And I am on the last row of the nupps. Sixteen rows of the peaked edging and then the bind off.




I think I'll finish just in time to get a medal in the Laceweight Long Jump.



And to celebrate, I ordered this:



from Beaverslide Dry Goods. I'm going to make the Apres Surf Hoodie while I'm in the lace mood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read a bunch of different technique on how to accomplish the nups from knitting loosely to Slip 2, P3tog, Psso2 and to not knitting the nups at all. This is the first time I've seen someone use a crochet hook to handle the stitch. Great idea! Good luck finishing it.

Anonymous said...

Ugh - purling 5 together to the back? What kind of sadistic designer would do that to a knitter! I love your solution, what a creative way to get around it. The shawl is looking beautiful.

A South Park Republican said...

Your nupps are gorgeous and anything that fussy is worthy of a little celebratory yarn shopping!