Sunday, July 12, 2009

Spinning!

I can do it! Not well or fast but I am now officially a spinner. On Saturday morning I went to The Spinnery for a private lesson with Betty. Who, I must add, has the patience of a saint. When I signed up for the class I told her I had a drop spindle and when I got there I told her I now had a wheel. Betty didn't even blink, just got me a wheel and went on as if nothing happened. I was glad that I'd spent the last two weeks practicing my footwork because I was spinning in minutes. Betty went over everything, answered all my questions and was a great cheerleader.



By the end of the class I had spun and plied a whopping 18.7 yards of something that can be called yarn.




When I got home I washed it and hung it to set and then wound it into a cake.




Then I knit it all up. It's not even and it's certainly not perfect but it will be some day.





And I think I'll frame this.


By the way, if you're ever nearby, Frenchtown, NJ is just the cutest little town. Saturday was Bastille Day and I wish I had had more time to wander around.

8 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

That definitely deserves framing! Congratulations on learning to spin.

Alexandra said...

Congratulations! It looks very nice!

Kimberly said...

Yes you are a Spinner! And yes, you should frame your swatch. Don't forget to indicate when you made the yarn.
Believe me you will get better. Enjoy this new aspect to your fiber life lol!

sara said...

Great job! Congrats on the new skill.

kitschystitch said...

Yay! The yarn looks Wonderful.

Iron Needles said...

I think it looks wonderful, and that you did a marvelous job for the first time out. Very, very good!

And welcome to the dark side...

Susan said...

Kimberly, thank you so much for your encouragement. I've been practicing and it's getting so much easier.

Anna said...

Wow! Your swatch looks really amazing for a first effort - I'm so impressed! Definitely frame-worthy.