Sunday, October 4, 2009

Look What I Found!

So we're in Delaware for the weekend and Mr. Truck gets the local paper. He always reads the paper and then he tells me the important stuff I should know about. And he says, "There's a spinning wheel for sale. It says antique and it's pretty cheap." I jump up, get my phone and call the number. Does it spin? Probably. Is it old? We've had it 30 years and we were told it was 100 years old then. Where are you? Really close. And we go look. It treadles and the wheel spins, the mother-of -all tightens and loosens. The footman is missing, replaced by a leather string and part of the distaff is missing but it's coming home with me.

On the way home we stop to buy some string and a bit of copper wire. After much googling and laughing and a little frustration we hook up the double drive, learn how to tie a reef knot and Mr. Truck makes an orifice hook thingy out of the copper wire, gives it a good oiling and it spins.



Mr. Truck says it's old because of the way it was made and the nails. We think it might have been refinished at some time. But there are no markings.



This chunk is missing but it doesn't seem to matter.



Here's the crazy leather piece instead of the footman. I think Mr. Truck has plans for some woodworking there.




And here's the crazy yarn I made. Look at the flyer hooks. Those alone make me think it's really old.


I've put up a post on Ravlery in the Antique Spinning Wheel Group but if anyone knows what it is, let me know. It's lived in Delaware for at least the last 30 years and when I get it all fixed up, it will be going back. We'll leave it at the condo so I can spin when I'm there. I really don't need two wheels here.

7 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

That is so very cool! Glad you knew what to do about the missing parts; I'd be stymied!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's beautiful... even if you never use it, it's a nice decor piece

Iron Needles said...

Very very nice! What fun. I have actually been spinning this past week myself. And remembering what fun it is.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It's great that it found it's way to you - so that it will be restored and taken care of! Congratulations!

Marie said...

It's beautiful. It looks like the wheel in Sleeping Beauty; right out of a fairy tale.
Congrats on your find!

Kimberly said...

Lovely! You scored 2 of my favorite things. A beautiful object made of wood and a new wheel.
Keep us posted on the yarn that it produces.

Mary said...

Lovely! And what fun to try to find how old it might be.