Friday, January 4, 2008

The Best of 2007 or at least the biggest




Last winter I bought the magazine Knitting because of the poncho by Nicky Epstein. I loved it! So I started. A year later it was finished. I picked this one because it is the biggest ^%$#@ thing I have ever knit. I knit all those little triangles, ran out of yarn, bought more, knit a bazillion yards of icord and then I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to put the thing together. Mr. Truck to the rescue. Then it was hours of seaming the things up (mattress stitch is my friend, mattress stitch is my friend...) then the hopeless task of making the *&^% knot out of the icord. Abandoned that, even Mr. Truck couldn't figure it out. (Sorry Nicky but you're obviously smarter than we are). Then it was hot out so I stuffed the thing in the closet in the hopes all those little ends would just disappear or maybe there would be a darning in the ends fairy somewhere. No luck. So I took it out of the closet and darned in all the ends myself. Now I actually wear it. I must say I've gotten a lot of compliments. We were in the little grocery store buying candy for the gingerbread house and a lady behind me kept saying "excuse me." Trying to be polite, I kept moving, she kept saying "excuse me." Finally, she said "I'm trying to look at your poncho." Oops. So this poncho qualifies as my best or at least biggest and longest project ever. And I have learned a lesson: never anything like this again!

No comments: