Monday, March 16, 2009

March Socks or Why Is Red So Hard to Photograph

I've been thinking that I need red socks, I don't have a lot of red clothes but sometimes I wear red and I have no red socks. Now all reds are not the same and I like a red that isn't orange, more of a blue undertone, a rich red. So when I visited a new to me lys not too long ago, this red jumped out at me. A little variegated, a nice red and I knew which socks I wanted to make with it: Leyburn Socks. But they're toe up and I like the way top down fits my funny feet better. But, it seems that those that knit before me have just turned the pattern upside down and it works just fine. Although I had to use my incredibly poor math skills. I ended up with 60 sts on the cuff, increasing to 61 for the leg and back to 60 for the foot. My problem is taking a picture that shows the color well. I had them in the sun, in the shade, in the morning, in the evening, on the porch, out in the yard, on the porch in good light, on the porch in lower light, in the house near a window, well just about everywhere I could think of and it still isn't quite right. Close, but not quite right. Any tips on red yarn pictures?









The yarn is Plymouth Happy Feet. I wish you could see the color.

And we're off to Antigua on Friday morning for BDE's wedding. I have all my knitting packed and extra needles in the suitcase just in case. Actually, the knitting is all I have packed right now. But I know what clothes I'm taking. I got my hair cut and a pedicure and I've been using that tanning cream so I don't look quite so pale. Mr. Truck bought new shorts. We're all ready. I'll be back next week with a tan and some pictures.

4 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Have a great time! I love your Leyburns. I did mine top down, too, 54 sts both leg and foot. Wondering why you had 61? I thought a multiple of 6 would work on the leg...but my math skills aren't great, either!

Anonymous said...

Red really is the worst colour to photograph, isn't it! Have a great time at the wedding - I would be the same as you, making sure all the knitting is packed first!

Stacie said...

Antigua! Jealous . . . hope you had a great vacation and knitted up a storm. Love the sock pattern too.

maryeb said...

LOL, you did pack the most important things first.

Thanks for the pattern link. I've been wanting to try more socks.
I've only made one very basic pair so far.