Sunday, March 29, 2009

G is for Garter and a bit of a Game

UPDATE: I got so many good ideas that I couldn't make up my mind. So I'm letting BDE pick. Results very soon. I want to thank all of you so much, this has been enormous fun!

BDE got married last week and I wanted to make her something but the wedding was in Antigua and she gets itchy from wool so that leaves out a shawl. So after wracking my brains and looking at yarn, I finally bought a skein of Seduce by Berrocco in vintage white, a color that is as close to her gown as I can get, and decided to make a garter. Now there were a few patterns on Ravelry but none were exactly what I was looking for. So I designed my own. I found a stitch pattern I thought would work, well actually I tried a bunch of them, and picked this one. It really didn't take long at all when I actually got down to it, but designing something myself is much more time consuming than I had imagined.










Materials:

Yarn: Seduce by Berroco one skein (I used not quite half of it)

1/8 inch elastic 14" or to fit your leg

1 yard 1/8 inch ribbon

sewing needle and thread

Size 3 needles (or size to obtain gauge)

Gauge: 25 sts = 4 inches/10 cm

Cast on 8 sts
Set up row: Knit
Row 1: Slip 1 st, k2, yo, k2tog,k1, yo 4 times, k2
Row 2: Sl 1, k1, k1 p1 k1 p1 into the 4 yo's, k3, yo, k2tog, k1
Row 3:Sl 1, k2, yo, k2tog, k7
Row 4: Sl 1, k8, yo, k2tog, k1
Row 5: repeat row 3
Row 6: BO 4 sts, k4, yo, k2tog, k1

Repeat 24 times
Bind off
Seam edges together
Thread elastic through top loops and sew together
Thread ribbon over elastic and make a bow.

Based on Petite open points from Knitting on the Edge by Nicky Epstein

So now that I'm a designer, I need a good name for the garter. Any ideas? We'll have a little contest I think and I have two skeins of Berrocco Geode for whomever comes up with a catchy name for my first, and maybe last, design.


25 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Very pretty! Based on the name of the yarn, I'd call it Seduction Garter, but if that's too racy for a wedding garter, then Graceful Garter.

The Big Burbs said...

Absolutely lovely!
Reminds me of something the dainty Buttercup would wear. Could you call it "Princess Bride?"

Anonymous said...

That's so cute!

undeadgoat said...

I really think it should be called "Something Blue", but I may be too influenced by an amazing episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to think straight, and also I find patterns that specify colors kind of annoying. Maybe "Something New" would be better?

Mary said...

Lovely! Love and Kisses Garter?

Marie said...

Congrats on designing the garter belt yourself. It looks beautiful!

I think you should name it after the bride. She did provide the motivation for you to try your hand at designing.

Iron Needles said...

Love that! Congrats on the designing piece of it. Looks like you had a great trip.

Great G's, too! Let's see...how about...

'lacey graces'?

maryeb said...

It's beautiful or should I say Gorgeous. Nice job. What a lucky bride.
Hmmmm, I'll have to think about a name.

Anonymous said...

I know I being corny, but that just me... how about "Togarter forever" ;)
3

katerina said...

Beautiful!!
I agree with Marie - name it after the bride - perhaps
"xxx's bit of blue"
or "lovely xxx's lace"

ACraftyKnitter said...

It reminds me a lot of flower petals. I would probably call it lacy petals, or Seductive Petals.

sara said...

Oh I love it! I"ll have to make one and tuck it away for Offspring's wedding one day.

SimplyMe said...

That is beautiful.

Simple Seduction is my guess.

Aunt Kathy said...

Ok my pattern name thoughts...

Innocence

Bride's Beauty... Beneath (maybe not the beneath part)

Thigh Teaser (lol ok that's lame)

Gosh I bet tomorrow I'll have a hundred more stupid ideas floating in my head, I may be back. Unless you ban me for bad ideas, lol

By the way I love the pattern and think I'll make up a couple for someone.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Kathy - How about "Bride's Hidden Beauty" or using the bride it was made for's name

Traci said...

How about "White Lace and Promises"? It's a line from the Carpenters' song "We've Only Just Begun" - played at oh so many weddings.

Unknown said...

I just might have to make that for my BFF's wedding!! Luv it!

Here's my name contribution:

"Something New AND Blue"

Yasmin said...

It's very elegant and dainty.Maybe you could call it . Lacy Essentials Garter or Bridal Essentials

Kim said...

That's really beautiful. What a wonderful gift!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

This is so beautiful!

My suggestions :
Something blue
Seduction
Wedding bliss
Sweet [the brides name]
A little bit of lace

Unknown said...

Hello! I was just looking to knit a garter for my sister's wedding and was thrilled to find your pattern. It is perfectly lovely! I have limited experience knitting lace and I'm afraid I immediately got stuck on row 2 - after you knit and purl into the YOs, what do you do with the rest of the stitches that follow? I feel a little silly, please let me know what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks so much,
Kat

Susan said...

Oh no! I've fixed it now. Sorry!

Mooncat71 said...

It's gorgeous, a really pretty design. It definitely should not be your last design!

Name-wise I dunno - how about 'ring of promise garter'? Or something wedding-y (sorry I'm crap at names!)

Mx

DeuceMom said...

Beautiful! A very thoughtful gift.

ginny said...

I made your lovely garter for my new daughter-in-law (although we just call her our daughter.) She picked to color to match thier wedding colors.
Turned out great. Thanks for the pattern.