Monday, June 29, 2009

M is for Mine

When I was a very little girl "THE" Christmas present was The Little Red Spinning Wheel and I really wanted one. It was the only thing I asked for that year. And my father, being the best father, searched and searched and searched, and there it was under the tree on Christmas morning. I was so excited. We put it all together and I thought I could spin straw into gold. And then I realized it made icord, it was a spool knitter and I couldn't spin. I did make miles and miles of icord though.






Ever since then it's been in the back of my mind that someday I would get a real spinning wheel. I've looked at them everywhere we go and even Mr. Truck knows a lot about spinning wheels now. So when I, just by chance, came across a wheel on ebay that was from the town that Reese lives in and was in my price range I was so tempted. I called Mr. Truck and he said buy it so I put in my bid and watched and waited and I won. And it's mine.





Ashford Traditional, almost new, spins really well. I can't spin. But I can learn because it's mine. Finally.

16 comments:

Kimberly said...

Congratulations and great choice. Just a couple of words of advise.
1 - Your first stuff will be 'novelty' yarn. Set this aside to look at every so often to see how much progress you've made.
2 - You will find a 'weight' of yarn that you can spin consistently.
3 - Take lessons. It will help.
I've had mine for 10 years and still love it!

amanda said...

I've yet to be converted to the whole spiining thing! Will watch your progress closely!

Susan said...

Kimberly, thanks for the good advice. I've just been practicing treadling now and I have a spinning lesson scheduled on July 11. I've been researching a while and I think this wheel will be perfect for me.
Susan

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Can't wait to see what comes off the wheel!

Mary said...

Congratulations! So many adventures ahead!

sara said...

Congratulations! How wonderful!

Iron Needles said...

Yea! For! You!!!

I agree with Kimberly. Save your first 'stuff' (I don't necessarily refer to it as yarn!). Stick with it because the 'knack' with come only with persistence.

I just love spinning. Only a coupel problems with it. Less time for knitting, and by definition, spinning produces more stash...that I need more time for knitting!

Anna said...

Wow - good for you! I can't wait to see what you spin up on it, gold or otherwise!

The Big Burbs said...

Oh Susan, it's gorgeous! You are going to have so much fun.
Don't forget to join a spinning group now! ;)

stringplay said...

How fun to see the Little Red Spinning Wheel! I got one for Christmas one year but I don't recall ever making anything with it. Did I even make i-cord?? Don't remember. Glad you now have the wheel of your dreams.

Stacie said...

It's gorgeous. I could imagine caressing it before actually starting spinning on it. While I'm not attracted to spinning, I can totally see why others are! Have fun.

Henya said...

Congratulations. Spinning gave me a totally new feel for yarn. It changed me as a knitter.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Dreams do come true! Eventually...

Karen said...

Good things come to those that wait....

Congrats and...have fun! :^)

Marie said...

Congrats on your lucky find! I agree with Kimberly - take lessons; they help. It wasn't until I took a spinning class that everything finally 'clicked' for me.
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you make with it.

RedScot said...

oooh - lovely!