Friday, April 4, 2008

For Love or Money

Recently on the knitlist, the topic of what to charge for your knitting came up. This happens pretty often and I usually breeze through those posts. But I started thinking about it this time. How much would I charge? I hate it when people who, well-meaningly I'm sure, compliment your knitting by telling you "you should sell that." It takes a really long time to knit something and how much would you get? So, I decided to do an experiment, a knitting experiment. I was half way through a pair of socks, I would time my knitting. How long does it take to knit a sock?




One hour knitting in the car.




Two more hours knitting on the couch.




Three hours knitting while watching a movie on TV.




An hour and a half and it's done including the grafting. That's a total of, ummmmmm, 7 1/2 hours. Now the yarn cost $16.00. My time is worth how much? A pair of socks takes 15 hours. No way would I sell these for less than, I don't know, what do you think? I think I'll only knit for love. The money isn't worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, someone who understands why I knit. :)