Thursday, April 16, 2009

H is for Home

When we first looked at our house in 2001 it looked like this. Not too promising, but I had a feeling. We had already sold our other house and didn't have a lot of time to find a new one. Mr. Truck and I drove around the towns we were interested in and wrote down addresses and Realtor phone numbers. Then we came up with a list to go see. This was the last on the list.



Undeterred by the Sleeping Beauty bushes, we walked in and I immediately knew this was our house. It took Mr. Truck a bit longer but he finally said, "I can live here." The kids, especially the girls, were not as sure. They were worried about the location, the landscaping and, with good reason, the paint. I could only see the front porch, the chestnut trim, the rope pulley original windows and the breakfast nook, the floor plan that was so much like my grandma's house. Later I noticed the 1958 pink bathroom. Well, we still have the pink bathroom but a lot has changed. The Sleeping Beauty bushes were the first to go. And we love our home. It may not be our forever home, but for now it is just right.


Craftsman Style Bungalow c. 1929

8 comments:

Kim said...

That's a wonderful H! Your house looks so sweet.

The Big Burbs said...

Susan, yours looks to be the quintessence of happy homes ;)

I've never lived in a house with a front porch and pulley windows--- it would be wonderful.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Cute! I love old houses; they have such character and charm. Ours is 1926, but not Craftsman. I'm not sure what it is; it's some kind of cottage style that doesn't look like the rest of the neighborhood!

Diane said...

You've done a great job in fixing up your home. Definitely like the new paint job.

Iron Needles said...

Excellent H. I love an old home that reminds me of past times.

Aunt Kathy said...

I had to keep looking at the before and after I wanted to be sure they were the same house, lol. It looks wonderful...

Diane said...

I love your house! It's gorgeous. My favorite kind of house too.

RedScot said...

Such a pretty home!