Monday, January 25, 2010

Eek a Steek!

I've been knitting since I was little and I've tried lots and lots of techniques, but there's one thing I've never done because I was terrified. But I'm going for the Ravelympics again this year and there was a sweater I just had to knit. Have you seen Elizabeth Zimmerman's recently found pattern, the Green Sweater? After I read this article, I fell in love with the story and the sweater, but it involved steeks, eek! The one thing I've avoided. But I really want to make it, I even have the yarn. So I swatched and procrastinated. Finally, I made up my mind and I announced it to Mr. Truck and then my Saturday morning knitting group. I was committed. I got everything ready and I read this and this.



I crocheted and cut.




And it worked!





It was so much fun I did it again!






I have conquered my fear, I am now a truly fearless knitter. Bring on the Ravelympics!

8 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Wow! You are brave.
I haven't overcome my fear yet.

Unknown said...

Good for you!

Lina said...

woohoo! Congrats! Steeking still freaks me out... thanks for the incentive. :)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

You are so cool!

Iron Needles said...

You are very brave. I am in the middle of mastering short row heels and toes, but can see the steeking in future. It occurs to me that for sweater knitting, and wanting seaming to be of a minimum, then steeking will need to be a part of my repertoirs.

SimplyMe said...

You are my hero!!!

Susan said...

Thanks Malin, it wasn't hard at all but I did have to psych myself up for it.

amanda said...

eek indeed! I still haven't got the nerve for this technique. I shall know where to come for support when I pluck up the courage though. :)