Thursday, May 29, 2008

That Sinking Feeling

I've been trying to use up the bits in my stash and baby clothes can
be great for that. Not that I have a huge stash, mind you, just a little. My queue is another thing. I may have to leave that in my will. So I have some
skeins of Brown Sheep Cotton Fine that I really liked using before but none of them is quite a full skein. What little sweater can I knit for Reese? Bow-tied Bolero by Debbie Bliss would be just perfect. My math skills not so perfect, but I bet I can just make it. I finish the back, both fronts, and the edging and on to the little sleeves, will I have enough? I keep knitting despite that sinking
feeling that I'm just not going to quite make it. One sleeve done. Eight
rows short on the second one. Check the stash, I have a little little bit
of the same color left, still have that sinking feeling. No still not
enough. Rip out both sleeves, do more math, make both sleeves a little
shorter. How long are her arms anyway?



Whew, just enought with this much left over.



My question is, when I really know deep down in my heart it's not enough, what makes me keep knitting in denial of that fact?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look cute, and she doesn't need full length sleeves - it's summer soon, right?

I love the idea of leaving your queue in the will! It started me imagining who to bequeath prospective projects to. Could be a great double-edged sword, eg,leaving a complicated fair-isle to someone who's always annoyed you and has no patience. Brilliant!

Allison said...

First off, Princess Pea's idea - muah ha ha!
Your bolero is simply darling! I think the ecstatic feeling you get when you have made a project despite the yardage not cooperating is worth the frogging! Congrats!